Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo

Cirrus Amber Rear Signal Mod

Chrysler Cirrus Turn Signal Light Mod Amber light

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Not sure if this was done before but how hard would it be to convert the clear area on the Cirrus Tail Light Lenses into Amber turn signals? I would think it would look really cool. As I do like the amber in the Stratus taillight assemblies but are supposedly incompatible. I know the tail lamp assemblies have a circuit board for the bulbs themselves and I would not want to fry the board but I wonder if the wires on the actual harness that plugs into it could be modified and an LED amber strip could be placed inside the clear housing, it could either be tap spliced into the existing red taillight/turn bulb or split off from the red bulb making that one inoperable as a turn signal and only be lit up when the headlights are on.

I got this idea when I changed out my old backup light bulbs and the center stop light with 6500k LED bulb assemblies. (The center stop lamp was burned out.) I also swapped the bulbs in the interior dome/map light assemblies and in the trunk and glovebox.

Also is that guy from TX that did the LED/Projector mods to the headlights still on here?

These were images I took off of google and modded in photoshop for "concept art" lol.

Attached Files

Edited by sgtmyers88, 30 October 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#2 theronz

theronz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Mckinney_Tx is that guy youre looking for.

Edited by theronz, 30 October 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#3 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,964 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

If I recall, the Cirrus rear fascia has about an inch of plastic under the taillights that isn't present on the Stratus or Breeze because the Cirrus tails are shorter in height.

Cannot recall if anyone was able to swap in Stratus tails and just trim that fascia, or if they swapped both tails AND Stratus rear fascia.

#4 KennyL

KennyL

What am I? One of a kind.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Not sure if it was ever done either, but I'm sure it's possible. The body "shells" are identical so it'll bolt in the same, there's just extra material on the bumper cover as noted. Would be interesting to see something like this done.

#5 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

The led light strip trend needs to die. Both production and otherwise.

New Charger and 200 pull it off well though.

Edited by BeaterStatus, 31 October 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#6 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,964 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

The led crappy looking LED light strip trend needs to die. Both production and otherwise.

Fixed that for you.

So do unnecessary decorative fender vents.

Having an LED strip appear as though it's NOT lit with individual LEDs - that's where it needs to go.

#7 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

Fixed that for you.

So do unnecessary decorative fender vents.

Having an LED strip appear as though it's NOT lit with individual LEDs - that's where it needs to go.

Yeah a while back I bought a pair off of eBay just to see how they would look in both day and night and go figure they do not look right from any distance and you cannot even see them in daylight so I did not bother with mounting them to anything. lol

That would be the first thing I would need to do if even went ahead and bothered with this is to find worthwhile materials. Then possibly mounting it so the LED's are somewhat facing toward the reflective material inside the clear lens housing as I would think it would help make it look better for solid light output.

As for fender vents. I do not do mods if they have no function. ;)

Edited by sgtmyers88, 01 November 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#8 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

The best ones (I am guessing) that would probably work and look right would be the LED's that look like mini lightbulbs as they are much brighter and look like a solid strip when activated according to pictures i have seen.

6Y9p.jpg

The general effect for what I envisioned for the taillights was done quite well here:

http://www.oznium.co...ps/action/page7

I understand the easiest way is to place the lenses in a 300 degree oven set to cool to get them open?

Edited by sgtmyers88, 01 November 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#9 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

The thing with led lights in headlights is the manufactures creative and efficiently getting around daytime running lights. Instead of killing your normal bulb by continuous running, or having separate bulbs. LEDs take there place. I'm all for them on newer cars. I like how creative some brands are at using them.

But as for fake vents and scoops please stop. An fake decals like the fake carbon vinyl some (cough) "dodge charger" put on the hood.

#10 Tippster

Tippster

Lord of the Lights

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

SgtMyers88, don't go with those. They end up cracking over time, and aren't as bright as other strips on the market.

You should look into 335 side firing LED strips.

And as far as the "LED strip fad" dying, fat chance... they've enabled anyone to add a little uniqueness to their ride, at a reasonable cost, and are used worldwide buy anyone from grandmas to kids with their first cars. They're also not just for cars, but anything you can think of.

You might get some ideas here... http://tippsterauto....uth-breeze.html
  :winkwink:

Edited by Tippster, 02 November 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#11 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

It's no longer 'unique' if everyone from manufacturers to grandma's are doing it....

#12 borgwarrior

borgwarrior

Member Level II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

... Or you could just buy a euro spec taillight, turn signals are yellow :)
Second from the right is a Cirrus, with the US spec taillights, for reference.

10295303_498929500232660_166207756159333

Edited by borgwarrior, 05 November 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#13 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

Euro spec is stratus us taillight. All taillights can be swapped. Cirrus is shorter. So the plastic bumper cover has an added lip on it. If you want the other 2 on a cirrus just trim the plastic on the bumper. I was trying to run cirrus on my strat. I took a cirrus bumper to mold to my bodykit at the time. But plans changed and I when with the breeze tails with som vht and clear

#14 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Problem is its getting harder and harder to find Cirrus Tails around here and the Stratus is even harder.

#15 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Problem is its getting harder and harder to find Cirrus Tails around here and the Stratus is even harder.

If you need anything let me know; the local yards know me by name ;)

#16 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

Haven't been to any of the local yars in about 6 months but usually there are several clouds. I've been debating if I should start collecting rare or common parts from them that are oem only parts. Stuff that won't be made. Chrome door handles ect. Maybe we could make a new post and post up things not common to look out for. Stock wings, trip computers, door handles, and such.

#17 Dylan214

Dylan214

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

I got about 30 clouds sitting in this one mopar only yard. 70-14 cars

#18 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

I might have to take you up on that offer BeaterStatus. Also I do think I might need to start looking for a 1995-1996 2.5l engine wire harness. One of my injector wires look like it got chewed and I had to tape it up. Car was acting like it was running out of gas and possibly misfiring today but cleared up once the engine warmed.

Attached Files

Edited by sgtmyers88, 05 November 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#19 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

... Or you could just buy a euro spec taillight, turn signals are yellow :)
Second from the right is a Cirrus, with the US spec taillights, for reference.

10295303_498929500232660_166207756159333

I grinned ear to ear seeing this. How long ago was that photo taken? Glad to see that many of them are still out there.

I got about 30 clouds sitting in this one mopar only yard. 70-14 cars

Sad to hear that. How intact are they and whats available?

#20 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:13 AM

I might have to take you up on that offer BeaterStatus. Also I do think I might need to start looking for a 1995-1996 2.5l engine wire harness. One of my injector wires look like it got chewed and I had to tape it up. Car was acting like it was running out of gas and possibly misfiring today but cleared up once the engine warmed.

Let me know what you need and send me a mailing addy so I can get shipping estimates to see if its worth it for you. I'll be at the yard around the end of the month for some major parts pullin (x your fingers for me, there's a low mileage turbo PT there...). I'll spend the day there if I have to.