Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo
- - - - -

Mini Trip Computer Installation

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's oem spec homie! :) TRUST ME, I'm a neon guy.... Lol

#62 KennyL

KennyL

What am I? One of a kind.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'm not saying you're wrong or I don't trust you, but I'm kind of curious as to why the 2.0 spec came up when Amerritt124 was asking for 2.4 spec, which I know for fact to be .050 inches. The extra spark from the coil pack allows the bumping to the wider spec of .065, 2.4 DOHC. I personally run mine at .060 to be safe, seems to run better there. That Screamin' Demon coil pack is the only aftermarket one I'd trust, though.

#63 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong or I don't trust you, but I'm kind of curious as to why the 2.0 spec came up when Amerritt124 was asking for 2.4 spec, which I know for fact to be .050 inches. The extra spark from the coil pack allows the bumping to the wider spec of .065, 2.4 DOHC. I personally run mine at .060 to be safe, seems to run better there. That Screamin' Demon coil pack is the only aftermarket one I'd trust, though.

I know you're right buddy, I've just never come across this info before! Crazy. So does this only apply to JA/JX/JR? I'm thinking this is model specific due to ecu?

#64 KennyL

KennyL

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

The coil pack cross-references to anything that takes the standard 3 wire "flat pin" connector for 4 cyls.  Works on Neons and PT as well, as far as I know.  You'd probably just have to use the stock spec for them and widen a bit, most likely .040 to .045 or perhaps even up to .050 inch.  Might have to experiment for the best result, I don't see them list another gap spec.  They only show the PT (and therefore only the 2.4) as a compatible application, but I know better...hehe.  95 Neons/Stratus/etc. would have to convert from round pin as well as 96 "transition" cars.  Most cars 96 and all 97+ with the DOHC 4 cyl. should work.  I'm not sure if the SOHC is a different coil though.  I think it's not, just different wires.  It should work on any 2.4 DOHC, though.  So get a hot coil for that 2.4 Caravan, heh.

Edited by KennyL, 26 September 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#65 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

I have to wonder if this info is on the .ORG because in all the years of going there everyday researching 2.4L swaps I have never seen anyone mention the larger gap. The turbo guys have talked about it, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the n/a guys are running neon spec!

#66 KennyL

KennyL

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

Well, as I said earler, turbo/blower/nitrous/high compression guys would be or should be running entirely different gaps anyways. If a fairly stock naturally aspirated 2.4 swap guy is running .035, that's pretty damn tight...heh. The wider gap gives a healthier spark and the stock coilpack can handle it. Screamin' Demon, even better.

Edited by KennyL, 27 September 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#67 Fabrizio

Fabrizio

Member Level II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

Got my mini trip computer and woodgrain radio bezel today along with a chunk of the wiring harness and plug. Good write up here!

One question though. Is there a temp. sensor I'll need to buy and mount as well?

If not, where does it get it's temp signal from?

Just curious.