Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo

Paddle Shifter Retrofit

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

First of to do this mod you need to understand 2 things one you must already have the autostick feature installed. and second you will lose your cruise control. There is no other way to do this without losing the cruise control.

How the autostick works. our autostick feature works by moving the shifter left and right. there is a small circut board in the center console. it has 4 wires going to it. one chassi ground, one 12 volt power and 2 10 volt signals. the 12 volt powers the board. and when one 10 volt signal goes to ground it shifts up. the other 10 volt wire touches ground shift down.

So all this mod is doing is using the paddle shifters to act as the switch to ground. using the 2 wires for the cruise control for the 10 volt signals to get through the clockspring. then to the paddle switches then to ground inside the stearing wheel.

Note there are no clearance issues with the headlight or signal stalks once installed.

Things you need to do this.

1 disconect battery
2 stearing wheel removal tools
3 wire to run from stearing coulum to shifter. and wiring tools
4 2 bolts 4m x .7 thread bolts 40mm long
5 SLK 55 AMG Shifter Paddles Part Number # 1712670046
6 philips screwdriver
7 dremel or other tool to cut plastic
8 power drill
9 torx bits.
10 electrical meater that can read continuity. not needed but it helps
11 take your time the better you get every thing to fit the better it will look in the end.

Lets begin.

the yellow plugs with 2 wires are for you air bag do not mess with these at all.

Disconect Battery. wait 15 min

Remove airbag.

Posted Image

Pull Stearing wheel and clock spring.

Posted Image

take stearing wheel and clockspring to work bench.

remove cruise control buttons. tape off area around were the paddles fit good for you. drill on an angle through the plastic and the wheel itself. trace paddle shifter. cut plastic so it sits flush. remove foam from around were screw for cruise buttons goes. you will use this as a ground. put terminal on black wire of paddle sifter. use a washer and put screw through washer and terminal you just made and then install the cruise button. then using the 40mm long screw install paddle.the shifters are not tapped you will be tapping the hole as you thread the screw in the first time. its a bit of a pain. repeat for opposite paddle. when you look at the wheel the buttons and paddles shoild be installed and you should have a yellow and blue wire.

Dill on angle pic
Posted Image

trace
Posted Image

trim to sit flush
Posted Image

clear area for good ground
Posted Image

ground screw
Posted Image

bolt to mount screw
Posted Image

both paddles mounted
Posted Image

Now that both paddles are mounted you will need the clock spring. each cruise button harnes has a red and black with yellow stripe wire.

you will need the red wire attached to the blue paddle wire and the black and yellow stripewire attached to the yellow wire .

remove the extra red and black with yellow stripe wires as they will not be used.

Posted Image

make sure no wires will get pinched by airbag when horn is pressed

Posted Image

now you will need to go to your stearing collum and the harness with 3 wires white plug

cut the red and black with yellow stripe shown and attach 2 wires to the plug end only.

tape off the 2 wires in the collum that are no longer used.

mark the wires you added for up shift and down shift

the red wire on the plug will be your down shift

the black and yellow wire on the plug will be your down shift

the black with red stripe is your horn do not cut

Posted Image

pull 2 wires through to center connsole reatach stearing wheel and clockspring and airbag.

Posted Image

now pull harness out of autostick in console

Posted Image

cut back tape to see all 4 wires red is 12 volt not needed. black red is ground not needed.
Green is upshift signal wire
yellow is downshift wire
Posted Image

cut and splice your up shift wire you ran to the green wire. and your down shift to yellow. if you did not mark your wires you ran and your shifters are backwards when you test them out just reverse the conection you made here. .

Posted Image

if you want to retain your normal autostick aswell just make sure you splice the plug side wires back aswell when you tie in your paddle wires and plug back in. (i did)

Posted Image.

install any pannels you removed and conect your battery.
test paddles if all is good. HAVE FUN. ive been testing mine and they work just as good as the stick. and if you do a good job mounting them they look factory

Posted Image

Any questions? il try and clear them up. also if you notice any typos let me know and i will correct them

Edited by RagingSun, 30 April 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#2 Azrael75

Azrael75

My other ride is a Zildjian

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Not all of the pics loaded for me...so I'll have to look at this post sometime this week at work to see everything.

But from what I read it doesn't seem like you ran into too many problems and it looks like it turned out pretty good.

Way to go RagingSun! :yes:

#3 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hardest part was mounting the paddles to the wheel. And that I had to learn as I was going. But its simple wiring. I'll be at Carlisle performance and style if anyone is going and wanted a closer look

#4 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

here is a basic diagram i made to show how to wire the shifters to the wiring that is in the car and better showing of how it works.

and i hope this helps understand the wiring better. as for the mounting its just were you perfer and taking time to line and cut and dril in the right spots.

Posted Image

#5 blackcirrus

blackcirrus

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

here is a basic diagram i made to show how to wire the shifters to the wiring that is in the car and better showing of how it works.

and i hope this helps understand the wiring better. as for the mounting its just were you perfer and taking time to line and cut and dril in the right spots.

Posted Image

hey men ? don?t undestand what is the spring clock. please say what is ? if you can note with a picture ? what is?

#6 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

This is the clock spring. it bolts inbetween the wheel and the collum.

the silver pin clip is the cruise and horn. the gold pin clip is the airbag

Posted Image

#7 blackcirrus

blackcirrus

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

This is the clock spring. it bolts inbetween the wheel and the collum.

the silver pin clip is the cruise and horn. the gold pin clip is the airbag

Posted Image

oks thanks

and how much the paddles retrofit cost in USA??

#8 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

well if you already have the autostic feature in your car all you need is the paddle shifters and they run 140 on ebay US

#9 blackcirrus

blackcirrus

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

well if you already have the autostic feature in your car all you need is the paddle shifters and they run 140 on ebay US

ok I'll have to save money jejeje excelen post :)

#10 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

UPDATE How to add paddles to non auto stick automatic cars.

THIS STILL NEEDS ATTEMPTED I CAN NOT PROVE THE AUTO STICK SHIFTER IS NOT NEEDED

Needed

Paddles

Autostick TCM

Optional

auto stick guages

auto stick shifter

you should be able to bypass having to change your shifter to the auto stick shifter. and when putting your shifter in L or 3 it should work as the auto stick.

If your Car is not auto stick and just the normal auto. you would need the auto stick tcm. by reading the how to on installing auto stick in an auto car. it says you need the shifter and tcm. guages are otional. when my auto stick guages broke i got a normal set and when using auto stick or the paddle shifters. there is no 1234 that lights up.

im guessing if you got the auto stick tcm and paddle shifters you would not need the shifter and could use the stock one. and run the wires from the tcm harness to the paddles

The AutoStick option replaces "3" and "L". To enter AutoStick, you would pull the shifter all the way down, to where L was

auto to auto stick

so all you should need is paddles and auto stick tcm. and run the yellow and green wire from the paddles to the tcm harness

#11 Koolguy007

Koolguy007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

UPDATE How to add paddles to non auto stick automatic cars.

THIS STILL NEEDS ATTEMPTED I CAN NOT PROVE THE AUTO STICK SHIFTER IS NOT NEEDED

Needed

Paddles

Autostick TCM

Optional

auto stick guages

auto stick shifter

you should be able to bypass having to change your shifter to the auto stick shifter. and when putting your shifter in L or 3 it should work as the auto stick.

If your Car is not auto stick and just the normal auto. you would need the auto stick tcm. by reading the how to on installing auto stick in an auto car. it says you need the shifter and tcm. guages are otional. when my auto stick guages broke i got a normal set and when using auto stick or the paddle shifters. there is no 1234 that lights up.

im guessing if you got the auto stick tcm and paddle shifters you would not need the shifter and could use the stock one. and run the wires from the tcm harness to the paddles

The AutoStick option replaces "3" and "L". To enter AutoStick, you would pull the shifter all the way down, to where L was

auto to auto stick

so all you should need is paddles and auto stick tcm. and run the yellow and green wire from the paddles to the tcm harness

Dis guy right here is gonna try it. I will post results when the car is back together. I didn't really care for the idea of the slap style shifting that the AutoStick shifter offered so I'm going to try without. That seems like a much easier setup to boot.

#12 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

The auto sticstick shifter is needed for the the actual up and down shift switch. And if your going to retro fit the paddles thats the switch. So it seams like the autostick shifter would just extra

#13 Koolguy007

Koolguy007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sorry about the wait, but the car is finished and the paddles work. For Autostick to work with paddle shifters all that is required are the paddles, the wire, and the Autostick TCM. You can use the stock shifter and dash cluster. To activate Autostick just pull the shifter down to L and enjoy. The cluster will just show that the car is in L, but you can select all gears flawlessly.

#14 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

good to hear glad it works. like to see some pics

#15 Koolguy007

Koolguy007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Was going through my computer and found these. Im probably going to upload more pics once spring really sets in and I get to work on the Breeze. EDIT: Sorry guys I cant seem to get them to work either.

Edited by Koolguy007, 26 April 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#16 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Pics don't work for me :( This is a very cool upgrade.

#17 RagingSun

RagingSun

1st gen 3.0 club

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

All the pics or just koolguy. I can't see his either

#18 BeaterStatus

BeaterStatus

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members