Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo

Speakers cutting in and out? Have a factory amp under your passenger s

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ecs

ecs

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

When I first got my 1995 Cirrus LXi, I didn't realize it had the factory amp...until I threw in a radio and put some front speakers in the doors (the car came with no speakers and butchered wiring). I noticed sometimes only the 3.5's up front were working, so I taped up the loose wiring in back since I didn't have any 6x9's to put back there, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I checked the amp fuse, I checked the connectors, I double checked my splices and the radio connections. I was at a loss. So I said screw it, and picked up a amp at the junkyard when I scored 4 premium speakers out of a 99 Cirrus LXi for $10.

Lo and behold, before I even threw in the 6x9's (I threw in the 6.5's at the yard) the speakers stopped cutting out. I'm not too sure if it's because the older 6.5's I had in the doors before were kind of blown, overloading the amp? I dunno if that's even possible; or if the premium speakers were just meant to be run with the factory amp. All I know is that after a speaker swap out, I drove 20-25 minutes home without a cutout.

If anyone can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. The factory amp, even in the FSM is a total grey area and I couldn't really find any documentation on it. Meh, everything works as it should now. Hopefully this will help someone out down the road.

#2 Hueyson1977

Hueyson1977

The Platinum Punisher edition

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Could be a number of miner reasons. Wiring grounding out somewhere. Could be the speakers capacitors or voice coil shot.

#3 ecs

ecs

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

I didn't touch the wiring. All I did was swap out the front speakers. I thought it might've been a grounding issue, which is where I would've headed if the speakers didn't fix the problem.

I thought it might've also been something in the speakers causing the problem as well, however when there was a cut-out, BOTH front speakers cut out at the same time. If the " speakers capacitors or voice coil" would totally interrupt the output line to the speakers I could see this being the problem. However I would've just thought that it would've cut out that single speaker that had the bad parts, not both speakers.

I'm so far behind in the audio game, I'm just referring to previous electrical experience. I may be totally wrong lol. Thanks for chiming in though. I may end up googling the inside of speakers as I've never opened one up before. Maybe I can find the answer there. (Hate leaving problems solved without an explanation)

EDIT: Guess I got a little overzealous with my system, cranked it up too loud and blew a front door speaker I just got a few days ago lol. Now both front speakers are cut out. Guess blown speakers can cause the amp to cut output to a line. FML my amp. A little troubleshooting (and a little bird) told me to pull the fuse going to the amp, and it's confirmed. Highs are coming from the tweeters AND the 6x9s out back...but the lows from the 6.5s up front and the 6x9s out back are totally out whether the fuse is in or not. IIRC, the amp controls only the low frequencies on the 6.5s and 6x9s. Guess I shouldn't have returned that amp earlier this week :frustrated:

Edited by ecs, 26 September 2011 - 08:53 AM.