Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo
- - - - -

rear brake replacement???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigbreezer

bigbreezer

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

my car has slightly over 100k on it and since ive had it (69k) the rear brakes have never been changed

i was going to do a bunch of tuneups and was wondering what should i replace in the rear?

i dont know much about drum brakes but after reading on the boards ive heard stuff about both a drum and a shoe?

so if anyone could. A. Explain to me what the rear braking system consist of B. Where can i find the replacement parts C. what all should i replace?

thanx in advance,
ben

#2 CirrusMatt

CirrusMatt

Mitsubishi Sebring

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

A drum barke system consists of a Drum,shoes,wheel cylinder,retaining clips, return springs and various other hardware componets. I would get the car on jack stands and inspect all 4 brakes not just the rear, since the front does about 70% of the braking on a Cloud car. Things to consider before you even take the wheels off
1. Is their any kind of problem you are starting to notice
a. sounds. squeeks, grinding, chirps, clicking?
b. Pedel feel. low pedal, hard pedal, stuck pedal or slow returing pedal?
c. Warning lights. ABS,BRAKE?
2. Precheck and Test drive the car.
a. Is the fluid low? What color is the fluid?
b. Does your car pull to a partucular side when braking?
c. Does the pedal feel spongy?
d. Get up to about 60mph and make a hard stop[not lock the brakes up hard]
1. Do you feel a pulsation when braking at that speed?

Try that stuff first then get a sympton list so we can help you figure out whats going on.
another thing to consider if you plan on resurfacing the drum a special tool is neede to measure the drum which should be compared to a manufactors spec to see if it is resurfacable or not.
[Typical drum brake setup below]

Attached Files

Edited by CirrusMatt, 24 January 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#3 bigbreezer

bigbreezer

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

thanx for the response, i actually replaced my rotors and put on ceramic brake pads about 2000 miles ago so im sure they are fine, but ill check like you said. I just wanted to do the rear since its never been done before, my car doesnt have any KNOWN braking issues and there are no sounds or problems stopping i just figured that since they have never been replaced it would improve my stopping power and distance

any other suggestions about where to get the parts needed ect...

thanx again,
ben

#4 CirrusMatt

CirrusMatt

Mitsubishi Sebring

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:02 AM

thanx for the response, i actually replaced my rotors and put on ceramic brake pads about 2000 miles ago so im sure they are fine, but ill check like you said. I just wanted to do the rear since its never been done before, my car doesnt have any KNOWN braking issues and there are no sounds or problems stopping i just figured that since they have never been replaced it would improve my stopping power and distance

any other suggestions about where to get the parts needed ect...
thanx again,
ben

One of the most overlooked aspect of braking power is the suspensions ablity to isolate and transfer road force during braking. Basically if you have sagging springs and blown struts it will take you longer to stop then if you had new springs and struts.

#5 Green Sound Stratus

Green Sound Stratus

Tweeter

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

OK, So my pedal is spongy, I have clicking/Popping in the rear brakes, and the pedal travel is pretty significant until I feel ANY respone of braking...

HELP

Its just so damn cold out, and I havent had time to put it up on jacks, not to mention the snow.... I have a new hardware kit, but I plan on just replacing the shoes and resurfacing the drums. The fronts are fine in mine too, garaunteed

#6 need4speed

need4speed

Active Member Lvl IV

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

try this and see if it helps. our rear drum adjusting mechanism doesn't work as nicely as it is suppose to. tho it is better than the traditional rear brake adjustment mechanism.

from the owner's manual
- car in park
- engine started
- stomp on the brake pedal, pushing it down like as if you are doing an emergency stop
- do the stomping 3 times.
- self adjust mechanism will reset to new position.

if this doesn't help, you'll need more work done to the brakes.. maybe air is getting or shoes are worn.

just an fyi on the traditional style of brake adjustment - you back the car up and stomp on the brakes. you'll hear the rear brakes click when you stomp on the brakes. repeat until no more clicking is heard.

#7 CirrusMatt

CirrusMatt

Mitsubishi Sebring

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:42 AM

OK, So my pedal is spongy, I have clicking/Popping in the rear brakes, and the pedal travel is pretty significant until I feel ANY respone of braking...

HELP

Its just so damn cold out, and I havent had time to put it up on jacks, not to mention the snow.... I have a new hardware kit, but I plan on just replacing the shoes and resurfacing the drums. The fronts are fine in mine too, garaunteed

spongy could be a few things most common is leaking wheel cylinders or your master cylinder is going bad. To check wheel cylinder you will have to take the drums off and slide the rubber boots in to check for fluid dampness is normal in the boot but if the area around the wheel cylinder is damp then its almost certain the wheel cylinder is leaking.

#8 70sdude

70sdude

Member Level II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Thats some good feedback on how to test that. Would you know what color springs go on each side? My springs are all grey can't see any colors on them thanks for any help at all from anyone.

Tony B.